Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: I was told.........  (Read 122 times)

InFeRnO

• View Profile
I was told.........
« on: December 16, 2001, 02:55:00 pm »
By a man in Amsterdam that the best soil would be from your own garden. Would he be correct ?
He said it would stress the plant and make it flower quicker and more potent?
If not what would be the best soil i could get from the local B&Q or somethin ?

mrdoobster

• View Profile
I was told.........
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2001, 02:58:00 pm »
hmm if you don't have a garden.. then lol you have no soil.. if you do have one.. you'll have bugs and all kinds of crap in that soil.. don't be cheap go and buy some

King Fern

• View Profile
I was told.........
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2001, 12:45:00 am »
O man this guy from Amsterdam should have his head read.
Unless you have perfect top soil outside forget it.
Go a decent potting mix and add perlite from an hydro store for airation.
You can grow weed in your back yard
But your better off using a good potting mix for pots

TCC

• View Profile
I was told.........
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2001, 04:33:00 pm »
Where I live, the woman who lived here before me, she had a major garden growing out front, she was into makingher own ferts and what not.
I thought about bugs, so what I did, was go out with a strainer and sifted the fine soil and chucked the rocks, as soon as I had growth from the seed, I planted it about 1-2 inch below and when I transplanted, I added SCOTTS prefert soil...but the *rootball* is all the good stuff from the lady here before me and the fresh soil, and I have to say NOT A BUG YET!
I started em in the first week of November and they are doing GREAT!
So ok to the soil, but *sift it* first, and get all the rocks and bugs out, it isn't hard =)
TheCheshireCat :hello:

Montarn

• View Profile
I was told.........
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2001, 01:45:00 am »
I would say that the eggs of most bugs wouldn't have too much trouble getting through a sifter.  for that matter, spider mites wouldn't have much trouble getting through a sifter.

smokinrav

• View Profile
I was told.........
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2001, 04:27:00 am »
Neither would residual pesticides or time release ferts that have been dissolved but hevent been used up yet.
All bad stuff...
Smokin

Delta

• View Profile
I was told.........
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2001, 04:31:00 am »
... can be used with some preparation and knowledge.
All soils around the globe are natually comprised of different elements.  So, read about the soil in your area.  It may be high in Potassium, for example.  Know what you're working with.
Bugs are not a problem if you sterilize your soil.
Put the soil in the oven, over 200F, for 45 minutes.  Depending on the soil, it can stink.  If you want to reduce the smell, air dry the soil before you sterilize it.  That will help a lot.
After you have sterilized it, leach it with 2X HOT (not boiling) water.  This will remove any excess salts and other chemical deposits.
My back yard has a few ditches in it, that's for sure.