Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: big threads, lots of pages, too many posts....  (Read 287 times)

cweed

• View Profile
big threads, lots of pages, too many posts....
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:13:18 pm »
there are alot of good threads, and you all have done right with most of them. but maybe it would help if you offer an archive forum.  threads that are designed in nature to be a step by step tutorial such as delta9 lst thread, could be cleaned and up with a revised version and locked in a archive thread. these could be reviewed by any member as a model to follow, rather than to continually question the method, or beg for answers. 200 posts and 20+ pages is quite alot to surf thru for the valuable information, and the rambling of some make it too tedious of an effort to even start sometimes. you could even include the growguide there for better viewing,  and mods could edit it more often and freely with the latest updates.
:D

jamesgang

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 02:13:18 pm »
I agree totally. Who cares about every inch of growth. A grow journal maybe should be limited to weekly pics. I am guilty of this and have backed off.

selene35

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:13:18 pm »
Excellent points!
sort of related to the big threads/many pages/posts:
I grimace when I have to use the search function here -- no matter how precise I set the search phrase, I end up with dozens of results and have to sift through hundreds of pages of posts to find what I seek (and not often is the 'answer' found). No wonder the newbies don't use the search button! :p
Maybe we could use a few "archival librarian" type folks who can help with creating/maintaining an HC.com "Dewey System" for sticky's and other things that get referenced a lot. ??
I wouldn't mind helping with that work, if the mods/admins think such a committee would help out with the massive amount of info that is deposited here daily.
best regards,
selene

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:13:18 pm »
San alerted me to this thread, which I should have caught the first time around.  Is anyone still interested in this project?
The sheer amount of information available here has grown exponentially since I first joined this site, and to my knowledge the grow guides are the only attempt at any kind of archiving or organizing.  It would take a group effort to get this rolling, but if this site is to maintain usability as it continues to grow we're going to have to get a more advanced level of organization in place for the info.
Thanks for volunteering Selene :D  Anyone else?
O

3hounds

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 05:13:18 pm »
I have a pretty good list of the most popular threads I refer folks to, listed by thread number...
As in:
Genetic Drift- 7380
Trimming Fan Leaves Debate- 13795
Want me to list 'em for you??

HydroSan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 06:13:18 pm »
I thought you'd have somthing like that 3hounds, being the resident HC refeance guide:p I'll show show you mine, if you show me your's first:lol:
just wanted to put my vote in for "archival librarian" type folks;) if this idea has any legs, a "list your favorite referance post" type thread would get the ball rolling, though I suspect one has already been done, in true search engine style, I can't find it if it has:crazy:
Sanster:smokin:

3hounds

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:13:18 pm »
boy am I confused :crazy:

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:13:18 pm »
That's a good idea San - I have been thinking about something along those lines for some time now, but it's too big a project for me and my limited time resources to try to tackle without a good deal of support.
As a so you know, past efforts at organization here have met with limited success, which is partly why there hasn't been a great deal of push from the administration.  The big problem is follow through - lots of people say they're interested in helping, but not many of them actually do.  And to be honest there has been foot-dragging from the mod/admin side, as we have quite a bit on our plate just keeping the zoo in an orderly fashion.
Having said my disclaimer though, I'm in favor of trying to get this baby off the ground.  I have a rough outline of an organizational structure, which I'll post here soon.  From the sound of it, both you and 3H have gotten a good start.
O

TokaJay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 09:13:18 pm »
I'd be glad to help any way that I can.  I am a Unix Admin myself by trade, and have some free time I can devote to the effort.  This site has enabled me to do what I've always wanted to do... grow my own.
As a NooB here, I have been one of those that ask a lot of questions that I'm sure I could have answered myself in the many posts on this site.  Like selene, I am frustrated by the inability to find the "golden" info in a ton of posts via the "search" function.  I think a locked "how to" forum with all the great how-tos on HC.com would be a blessing to all.
Organic, who decides how this is done?  Gimme a project and I'll work it.
TJ

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 10:13:18 pm »
Offer accepted TJay, even if you're one of those creepy-eye guys ;)
Priority #1 is identifying in concrete terms what information we're looking for.  Since some work has already been done in the 'how-to' arena, it's the most logical place to start.
Once we get the lists of archived threads posted here, we can start in on the real work of breaking them down into sub groups, writing titles & summaries, cleaning them up, etc. etc.
In the mean time, we can start by posting of all the topics you would want covered, assuming you were a noob.  i.e. How can I tell the females, what's the best kind of water to use, which lights are the best, etc. etc.  So I guess that's the first call to action. :)
O

3hounds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 11:13:18 pm »
Organic I've been trying to PM you about this -
I have a FAQ going as well as Grow Guide plan- but I am afraid we are duplicating our efforts here.
We need to coordinate work so we don't both prepare the same thing, but I cannot give time to this project until after the Holidays. I mentioned this in the Admin forum and it seemed fine.
What any member could do is make a list of frequently asked questions and send it to me... a list, not thought up one at a time :D
I have referenced the thread numbers and am cleaning the threads involved, so every question will point to a clean, well discussed thread.
It will happen- but not next week!

TokaJay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 12:13:18 am »
Sorry about the creepy avatar, organic.... ( I am looking casually for a new one) but it DOES pay to keep an "eye" open. ;)
3hounds' point is well taken.  Coordination will reduce the workload considerably.
OK 3H... I'll do as Organic suggests and start as a brand NooB - I'll PM send you a list of all the questions I had starting up.  After that, you or Organic can direct me to whatever areas you feel that I can assist with.  I am an organizational/methodical person by nature and training, and am not very creative.  Keep that in mind... :)
TJ

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 01:13:18 am »
Why don't we post everything to this thread instead of PM'ing each other?
For instance, what 3H is working on (cleaning up threads, etc.) can also be done by other mods.  And if we have a publically viewable list of what has been done and what needs to be done yet, it makes things easier for everyone.
I just see the PM route as leading to more potential duplication of effort.  Plus, the whole idea of a board is collective effort, right?  If we keep things private, it doesn't have as much chance to attract more volunteers.
O

selene35

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 02:13:18 am »
Wow, haven't stopped by this thread for a little while -- just wanted to say I am still interested in helping in whatever way I can --
Sounds like you all have put some major "behind the scenes" work into this! I am with TokaJay -- "direct me to whatever areas you feel that I can assist" -- with a team/coordinated effort, this could be a really cool addition to the site!
excited about the ideas....
selene

TokaJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 03:13:18 am »
OK.
3H  asked that as a start, we think of all the questions that are frequently asked, and the threadids of great informational threads.
I am starting to compile the list of questions I've had and the great threads I've used to get the answers.
TJ