Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Force Early Flowering To Keep Plants Small  (Read 40 times)

CAT33

• View Profile
Force Early Flowering To Keep Plants Small
« on: July 12, 2004, 10:30:06 pm »
I searched. No result. Is is possible, if I have several plants (more than I need) to force flowering early by adjusting the light cycle in order to get earlier bud, albeit not as much, and likewise to keep plants smaller?

FireMiddieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 11:30:06 pm »
Well, mine being Outdoor plants... I did decide to cut there light hours back because they were getting to large for my situation, and has worked in causing them to flower... It took some work and patience on my part, but my ladies are flowering and you can check them out in the outdoor growing section if you'd like...
Hope this mighta cleared something up, but yes you will decrease your yield...

CAT33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 12:30:06 am »
And this is an indoor grow...thanks!!!!

self_medicator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 01:30:06 am »
Well, it would depend on the age of plants somewhat.  Also, depends if they are from seed or clone.
While the plants will be smaller if they are flowered at an earlier age, keep in mind, they should increase in height quickly when flowering is induced. You will need to be prepared for this burst of growth for the first few weeks.
I see you had a grow a while back and unfortunately, things did not seem to go right for you. :( Sucks that you lost it, but now that you have learned some more, you may have some better luck. Get some plants going and depending on their age, health, and height, a decision could be made on when to flower.
Look into the LST methods and try this out to keep your plants smaller. Try a few without LST first to get a feel for how a *grow* is going to *grow*. The LST will take more time and you can mess up some precious babies if you're not careful. I've had to tape and tie one too many stems to let them heal. :)

mr. hyde

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 02:30:06 am »
sometimes it is hard to keep these plants small no matter what you do (in somewhat optimal situations that is).  but yes to the question, you can do that.  surely surely you can (if you can)..some plants don't cooperate with that thinking small stuff come flower time.  but you can do it.  how big ya thinking?  what is the lighting?

pontoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 03:30:06 am »
...you wanna check out some SOG (Sea of Green) journals Cat33!
Plants can be forced to flower at ANYTIME, although most growers will recommend waiting until the nodes are alternating. Your yield WILL be affected though, as already stated.
I'm gonna move this thread over to our 'SoG/ScrOG Training Forum'. ;)
pOOn :cool: