Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: New grow, few q's  (Read 180 times)

JohnLeef

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« on: August 13, 2004, 10:48:10 pm »
heylow.  back again with a few questions.
before i begin, quick summary of my area. it's about 6' wide, 5' high and 4' deep. Covered in reflective material, from floor to ceiling. i've got an inlet with a tiny fan as well as an outlet to the outside world, also with a small fan. I've also got a tiny house fan that rotates, for the plants :) The lights, two full size flor fixtures up top (so four bulbs total), one on the bottom/middle (between the two rows) and then two 1800 lumens 175w bulbs. Temp is usually in the low 80's (80-85) during the hottest part of summer.
i've got 18 regular 'ol Skunk seeds, fresh from their wet home in papertowel land, planted in pots today, they should be springing up in a week or so.
first question: the plants i have now (see attached picts) were growing in the garden, and i transplanted them into two pots, just to test the lights out (they work,  ;)  ) they're just the typical mexi. When I'm ready to stick in the pots of Skunk, what should I do with these? Feel bad just tossin' em, but is there harm in keeping them around?
Second question: i've read the grow guide here and other places, but am still a bit confused on lights. I've got a timer all ready... am I correct that a good setup would be 4 weeks of 24/0 (from seed), 4-6 weeks of 18/6, then a 4 week flowering period of 12/12? The site i bought the seeds from say that they have a 8 week flowering period? Totally confused, heh.
Also, I dont really have a 'variety' of lights... it's either flors, or the high lumen lights, or both, but I've read that people add and/or subtract lights depending on what stage their grow is... again, a bit confused, certain that someone can set me straight :)

afterburner

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 11:48:10 pm »
it's about 6' wide, 5' high and 4' deep. Covered in reflective material, from floor to ceiling...
 ....The lights, two full size flor fixtures up top (so four bulbs total), one on the bottom/middle (between the two rows) and then two 1800 lumens 175w bulbs. Temp is usually in the low 80's (80-85) during the hottest part of summer.
Twenty four square feet! You either need some more lighting or to make your space a LOT smaller bro... I dont even think your getting much more than a thousand lumens per suqare foot... You need something closer to 5,000 lumens per square foot... 10,000 is supposed to be equiv of full daylight sun.
 You might have enough lighting, for maybe... one or two square feet of space...
i've got 18 regular 'ol Skunk seeds, fresh from their wet home in papertowel land, planted in pots today, they should be springing up in a week or so.  Thats a lot of plants for the amount of light you have ;)
first question: the plants i have now (see attached picts) were growing in the garden, and i transplanted them into two pots, just to test the lights out (they work,  ;)  ) they're just the typical mexi. When I'm ready to stick in the pots of Skunk, what should I do with these? Feel bad just tossin' em, but is there harm in keeping them around?  
Uhh well...Uhh... Hmm You have a lot of plants! But you also have a lot of space!
So..........Not to get on your a$$ a third time for this, because I know lights are expensive and yeah... but I can't stress it enough. Fix the lighting if you want to keep them... or make your space smaller and only choose a couple of the strongest plants to grow to maturity...
If you were to get a big HID light ( You need 1000 watts for that much space) You could grow more weed with just one plant than all 20 of your plants usin the current light...
Second question: i've read the grow guide here and other places, but am still a bit confused on lights. I've got a timer all ready... am I correct that a good setup would be 4 weeks of 24/0 (from seed), 4-6 weeks of 18/6, then a 4 week flowering period of 12/12? The site i bought the seeds from say that they have a 8 week flowering period? Totally confused, heh.  
Uhhh...... I just go 18/6 from seed till flowering... (bout 4-8 weeks) Then the flowering period can be as short as 46 days to as long as 80 days average flowering time is 60 ish days...
Also, I dont really have a 'variety' of lights... it's either flors, or the high lumen lights, or both, but I've read that people add and/or subtract lights depending on what stage their grow is... again, a bit confused, certain that someone can set me straight :)
Well the more light the better... Get as much light as you can afford. You want HID lights, either HPS (High Pressure Sodium) or MH (Metal Halide)
Peace out man, Goodluck!
Afterburner :bandit:

C-Town

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 12:48:10 am »
Well, you'll need to flower longer than 4 wks. 7-9 weeks at least. On the vegging side of things.... You could veg under 24/0, or 18/6 for 4-6 weeks, from seed, then flower away. Obviously, the longer you veg. the bigger the plants will get.
I can't say I've heard of anyone, removing light. Most people tend to add more light, if possible.
As far as the mexi goes... If they turn out to be female, and you have the space, keep'em. :2cents:  ;)

sweet leaf

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 01:48:10 am »
 two 1800 lumens 175w bulbs.
 high lumen lights
what type of lights are these?    s~l

JohnLeef

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 02:48:10 am »
Twenty four square feet! You either need some more lighting or to make your space a LOT smaller bro... I dont even think your getting much more than a thousand lumens per suqare foot... You need something closer to 5,000 lumens per square foot... 10,000 is supposed to be equiv of full daylight sun.
heh, i knew someone would call me out on the space! I actually just measured... 69"x54"x24", so 5.75 x 4.5 x 2. Not AS big but i think i got your message (:)) i need more light. Ive got everything on chains (the flors and lamps) and keep them a few inches away from the plants.
My biggest problem right now is heat... Those lamps put out a lot of heat (duh) and even with an exhaust fan, i cant seem to keep it from leaving the 80s (and sometimes low 90's!) which, from what i read, is not good.
My location is inside a small barn on our property, so i'm dont think i could, oh, add an air conditioner or something. Any other suggestions?
 Thats a lot of plants for the amount of light you have ;) well, I'm sure not all of them will be female, heh.
 So..........Not to get on your a$$ a third time for this, because I know lights are expensive and yeah... but I can't stress it enough. Fix the lighting if you want to keep them... or make your space smaller and only choose a couple of the strongest plants to grow to maturity...
;)
i hear ya! again, not concerned about price as much as the heat.. maybe i need to create a space inside the house, because I'm not sure if i can control the tempature. The mexi's dont seem to care right now, but i'm afraid of what may happen when i stick the skunk in. Are there any lights that don't create heat?  :rolleyes:  heh, probably not.
Oh, i also wanted to ask, a bit off topic, but can computer fans (for processors, cases, etc) be used as stand-alone fans? I've never tried, but am sure SOMEONE here has!

JohnLeef

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 03:48:10 am »
what type of lights are these?    s~l
not sure on the actual brand, but i purcahsed them on sale at a hardware store. They... they kinda look like floodlamp bulbs, cept bigger... i honestly didnt really care, they were on clearance sale for $20 each with a wide, alum hood, and when i saw the lumen ratings i snagged 'em.
once i put them on the mexi, the growth SPIKED hard... i thought you guys who *****ed about floro's were just inpaitent, but after i added both lamps, i can see what you mean... the plants grow about an inch a day now, what seemed like 3-5 days if by floro.

SerratedFrond

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 04:48:10 am »
If by stand alone fan you mean it just blows air around the room like a house fan, then yes it could.  You just wire it to a plug and you can move it wherever you want . .but why not just get a house fan  = )
Those computer fans would be better served venting or blowing air through your room.

JohnLeef

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 05:48:10 am »
If by stand alone fan you mean it just blows air around the room like a house fan, then yes it could.  You just wire it to a plug and you can move it wherever you want . .but why not just get a house fan  = )
Those computer fans would be better served venting or blowing air through your room.
oh, way cool, that's exactly what i wanted to use it for (as a vent fan) I've already got one of those big wallmounted oscillating fans for the plants.

afterburner

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 06:48:10 am »
OK, I'll shutup about more light :D ... Sorry about pushing it so much, you've obviously got the picture. No hard feelings were intended.
My biggest problem right now is heat... Those lamps put out a lot of heat (duh) and even with an exhaust fan, i cant seem to keep it from leaving the 80s (and sometimes low 90's!) which, from what i read, is not good.
Hmm low 90's is okay, its not great... Unless you ever get Co2 enrichment, then you'd want it in the low 90's :cool:
How many cfm's of exhaust do you have? For the amount of space you got I'd reccomend at least a 450 CFM dayton blower... That should do the cooling job for yah. Make sure to get an aircooled hood for that HPS and you're all set. With that kinda fan power I dont think heat would be much of a problem...
My location is inside a small barn on our property, so i'm dont think i could, oh, add an air conditioner or something. Any other suggestions?
Sure you could add an A/C.. Ain't cheap, but if your not worried about cost... You could effictivly have a killer setup, by keeping all the air retained in the room you could easily enhance co2 levels... (just suggesting a possible future upgrade, prolly best take one thing at a time, and leave that for later...)
 well, I'm sure not all of them will be female, heh.
You'd be reeeeeeally surprized at how big 10 females get... If you get ten... Last time I sprouted 20 plants I got 14 females... Oops, that was too many :) This time I only want 6... But for the size of your room you could fit 10...
 Are there any lights that don't create heat?  :rolleyes:  heh, probably not.
Oh, i also wanted to ask, a bit off topic, but can computer fans (for processors, cases, etc) be used as stand-alone fans? I've never tried, but am sure SOMEONE here has!
Yeah actually you can buy 95 ~ 125 watt compact (well 14" long, if thats compact) florecent lightbulbs designed for growin... Known as Enviro lights... They produce very little heat and about 10,000 lumens..
BUT they are not cost effective, for anything bigger than a cabinet... you'd need a bunch of them, so your best bet is just to get a good HPS and effective air cooling system.
As far as computer fans - I use em pretty much for my whole grow, excluding my exhaust blower... I run about 6 fans off an old 'hotwired' AT computer power supply... If you've got one layin around its convenient... OR any DC power converter in the range of 10 ~ 14 volts (the ones for charging cell phones, etc...) will work just fine... Only two wires, just lopp off the plug-in end and wire em up... Look for the big 120 mm computer fans that put out 100+ CFM (preferably 130 or more) there are a lot of tiny CPU fans that would be worthless for your application...  sales.goldmine-elec.com/catlist.asp?catid=2079  <-- that site has the cheapest computer fans i've ever seen in my life!
Peace out,
Afterburner

JohnLeef

• View Profile
New grow, few q's
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 07:48:10 am »
OK, I'll shutup about more light :D ... Sorry about pushing it so much, you've obviously got the picture. No hard feelings were intended.
heh, no worries!
Hmm low 90's is okay, its not great... Unless you ever get Co2 enrichment, then you'd want it in the low 90's :cool:
well... i was under the impression that more heat = more males? I adjusted the fan and removed a kink in the outlet tube, so hopefully that will cool things down a bit. I'm considering buying a small, ready-made shed that I could customize and slap inside the garage or something, but the cheapest I can find are the Rubbermaid shed's at Home Depot (i've looked at walmart, lowes, Ikea, Target... anyone have any other suggestions????)
Sure you could add an A/C.. Ain't cheap, but if your not worried about cost... You could effictivly have a killer setup, by keeping all the air retained in the room you could easily enhance co2 levels... (just suggesting a possible future upgrade, prolly best take one thing at a time, and leave that for later...)
Again, it's looking more and more like a small shed would be a perfect option (kind of the size of one of those portopottys they use at construction sites)
You'd be reeeeeeally surprized at how big 10 females get... If you get ten... Last time I sprouted 20 plants I got 14 females... Oops, that was too many :) This time I only want 6... But for the size of your room you could fit 10...
well, i was tempted not to grow all the seeds, but figured, if i have 16, not ALL will be female. It's kind of a doubleedged sword.
As far as computer fans - I use em pretty much for my whole grow, excluding my exhaust blower... I run about 6 fans off an old 'hotwired' AT computer power supply... If you've got one layin around its convenient... OR any DC power converter in the range of 10 ~ 14 volts (the ones for charging cell phones, etc...) will work just fine... Only two wires, just lopp off the plug-in end and wire em up... Look for the big 120 mm computer fans that put out 100+ CFM (preferably 130 or more) there are a lot of tiny CPU fans that would be worthless for your application...
thanks for the fan advice! will definitely put that into play, once i find a cheap and suitable shed for my needs. I figure i have 5-7 days before the skunk pops out of the soil and needs some light love. thanks again