Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Just a few questions  (Read 324 times)

20green

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« on: February 26, 2005, 07:55:49 pm »
:yes: My grow room is a 4'L X 4'W X 9'H. it is a closet in my bedroom. i will be using a 400 watt HPS. i plan on growing on bout 2-4 plants at a time. 1. My first problem is i have no way to ventilate the room besides opening the closet door.  Can i use a simple CO2 system so i don't have to worry about fresh air coming in?  2.  My next question is for my small space should i use an air ionizer or should i use an ozone gen. to control smells? also what are the dangers of an ozone gen? keeping smells down or no smell at all is very important to me.  any comments and help would be great. i've tried searching but can't find a definite answers relating to my questions. i can't wait to start my first grow and i've already learned so much from ya'll, thanks

Fillabong

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 08:55:49 pm »
Can you upgrade to a 600HPS?  They are the most efficient and you can always use more light:yes: Depending on how you grow, you can use 16 sq.ft to grow way more plants. Remember that you'll need room for a fan and a humidifier:D! You can use that CO2 to put air into the room but it still needs to escape somewhere. You may end up having to brainstorm and find a way to vent. HID lights get very hot and are the origin for most heat in your room and a primary reason for fresh air. O3 gens are dangerous because ozone burns lung and plant tissue easily and severely if not properly used. Soooo...you can't use an O3 gen unless you have an exhaust. That's where they belong; deodourizing the air leaving your room. Be sure it has a safe place to go also and you don't hurn any plants or bids outside where your exhaust may vent.
 100% of HCers agree that the GrowGuide  (http://www.marijuana.com/Bible.php)is our nations' most precious resource:grin:  Read it and try to tell me it isn't amazing:yes:

20green

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 09:55:49 pm »
i've already got a 400 HPS so i'm gonna be using that and a total of 6 4' Flouros. i know i could using my room for two different sections for growing but just for now i'd like to keep it sweet and simple. i'm still not sure bout how to ventilate, i can keep the door open most of the day i suppose, thats bout all i can really do cause i don't want to cut any holes in my nice walls :( but for veg. i need to keep the door closed at night time cause the g/f wants to sleep, lol go figure. do you think an ionizer would do the trick with all of the smell??  any ideas on ventilation would be great

panamajuice

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 10:55:49 pm »
What I like to do is I force the air out of the room through a duct with an In line fan that has the Ozone generator inside.  So, I get no O3 in the growroom and the air that leaves the growroom does not smell at all.
This method is also good for controling the smell that leaves the growroom because since you are pushing the air out trough one hole, you create a negative pressure inside. All the cracks in the door or any place else in the growroom will only bring air IN and not OUT.
I love it.

20green

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:55:49 pm »
During my veg. cycle i will be doing 24/0 with my lights, how often does the air really need to be changed cause i can leave the door open and use your type of setup (panamajuice) and then just dissconnect it at night when we are sleeping.  but that means that there will be about 8-9 hours with no real air circulation.  ya'll think that, that would be too long without fresh air?

panamajuice

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 12:55:49 am »
I'm gonna have to let someone else anwser that one cause I'm not sure.  Since I grow in a bathroom that is quite large, I don't need much air circulation.  Your growroom should need more circulation cause its a small closet.
Hope it works out for you.

sinjo

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:55:49 am »
One of the main reason for air circulation of air through the room, along with fresh air for the plants, is heat control. the main source of heat in the room is the hps, and 9 hours without circulation will def build up to much heat and burn ur plants. u will need to find some way to have ventilation going while your lights are on.

S2

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 02:55:49 am »
go buy a cheap replacement door and cut holes in that-- then when you are done/move/have company put the old one back up-- use a carbon filter for smell-- can get them for $100 or so on ebay-

20green

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 03:55:49 am »
thanks for the advice ya'll, i wouldn't have even really thought about the heat issue personally, i read on the forum that i would need a passive intake to exhaust the air out, am i correct? also if i am i saw a big post about a Stanley blower that everyone recommends but i can't find the post again, would this work for exhaust or only bringing air into the room? thanks oh "sinjo" thanks to the link in your sig. with the thread about the $30 carbon filter and i think it will work great for my room when i figure it all out. Hey "S2" any idea how much cheap doors are? i'm trying to keep a really low cost just to see for my first grow.

tha chronic

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 04:55:49 am »
S2's idea is really good. that would be your best bet for ventilation.  i had the same problem but i decided to go for a cabinet.  you said you wanted to keep a really low cost so i guess you dont want to get a cabinet.  you can definately grow many more plants that that. i have about 6 square feet and can fit up to 14 plants in my ebb and flow system.  make sure you got your fan on all the time now that youre getting those doors.  itll strengthen the stems and keep air moving around the leaves.  since you have a source of ventilation now, you can make your own carbon filter, which isnt too expensive and get rid of the odor.  krypto has a good thread on making a carbon filter.  good luck dude!

Beener2969

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 05:55:49 am »
The CO2 is a great thing to have but not necessary to have. Your room will need to have the air changed frequently (like totally overturned a 4/5 times an hour) so your roots get the oxygen they need to breath.
CO2 is only used by the leaves on the plants, And oxygen is only used by the roots. If you could only have one or the other, it would be the fresh air. There's CO2 in the air, but "no" oxygen in CO2.
Unless you have good ventilation, your gonna have to skip the CO2. You can help offset this by adding peroxide (H2O2) to your feed and water. The extra oxygen attached is very easily liberated, and provides more oxygen to the roots.
***but you need to know what your doing. Peroxide raises the pH on your feed, and in excess can hurt more than it helps. Regardless, even adding peroxide wont eliminate the need for fresh air. Just helps supplement oxygen to the roots.
"The bigger the roots - the sweeter my Fruits :D "

penguin

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 06:55:49 am »
Photosynthesis produces O2 as a waste product.  Plants make their own oxygen (and ours too).
Unless you are running a sealed system grow, air should be exchanged several times per minute. (https://www.hempcultivation.com/420/showthread.php?t=71704&page=1&pp=10)
Ventilation also helps with temperature control.  If you enrich CO2, you can run at higher temperatures; but if you seal your room completely, will you be able to keep the temperature below about 98F?
Your 400w lamp is not providing enough light for your space, so you will not see much of the benefit from CO2 enrichment.  It will be more economically feasible to provide adequate ventilation.  
:Peace:
penguin

Beener2969

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 07:55:49 am »
Penguin, wouldn't turning the air over in a room "several times a minute" make CO2 pretty much impossible to make work? His room is 144 sq feet?
Just curious.
"The bigger are my roots - the sweeter is my Fruits :D "

Old_Phart

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 08:55:49 am »
Say,
Beener-His room is 16 square feet and 144 cubic feet. I'm guessin' that you would have to time the CO2 injections with the exhaust fan off, possibly causing heat issues. The plants can handle more heat with CO2. Sounds like lots of experimenting to do to get it right.
20green-I suggest you do yer first grow w/o the CO2 to get yer "growin' legs". Then add the CO2 later when you get good at growin'. You'll probably have enough to worry about on yer "first grow" to keep ya busy.
OP :D

Beener2969

• View Profile
Just a few questions
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 09:55:49 am »
And I stand corrected. I just did the math (and stated it incorrectly I might add  :doh: ) and wondered if that much area, wasn't alot of area to turn over so often.
Thanks
"The bigger are my roots - the sweeter is my Fruits :D "