Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: "IM" confirmation  (Read 336 times)

NoneOYurs

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« on: April 14, 2005, 04:00:19 pm »
here is a suggestion I think will help those who are new to using the "IM" feature.
it currently says "OK" and "CANCEL" for the "request a read receipt for this message?"
my suggestion is to rename these buttons:
OK to YES (or leave as OK) and
CANCEL to NO

NoneOYurs

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 05:00:19 pm »
i am surprised that no one has commented on this, but i guess it is only two days ago that this was posted.  i hear this sentence everynow and then but no one is there "patience, you must have patience"(starwars?)   :D

SuperJJ85

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 06:00:19 pm »
That might be something that you can not customize in vBulletin. :shrug:
SuperJJ85

Brim Fisher

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 07:00:19 pm »
That might be something that you can not customize in vBulletin. :shrug:
SuperJJ85
Then it should get bumped on over to the vBullitin guys, it's a good suggestion.  ;)

SuperJJ85

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:00:19 pm »
Then it should get bumped on over to the vBullitin guys, it's a good suggestion. ;) Agreed, and I'm pretty sure vBulletin has a board for suggestions just like that! ;)
SuperJJ85

S2

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:00:19 pm »
I assume you mean PM function and I guess it would be a bit more intuitive but whats the rub?  possibility of a member having a mental lock up if they dont want to get a receipt but cant figure out if cancel = no?  :lol:
It is a vB thing though.

NoneOYurs

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 10:00:19 pm »
lets say for instance that the person is really new...wrote something that they might regret.....they want to 'cancel' the message before they send it....to find that the 'cancel' was for receipt...ooops...message gone.
just a thought.

SuperJJ85

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 11:00:19 pm »
lets say for instance that the person is really new...wrote something that they might regret.....they want to 'cancel' the message before they send it....to find that the 'cancel' was for receipt...ooops...message gone.
 Well, if the button said "no" they'd still be screwed, as the message would still be sent. :shrug:
Besides, the message doesn't say anything about sending/not sending the message, it clearly says "Request a read receipt for this message?"
:2cents:
SuperJJ85

NoneOYurs

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 12:00:19 am »
yes. but if someone was in a stuper, and thought cancel ment cancel and not no then....

SuperJJ85

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 01:00:19 am »
yes. but if someone was in a stuper, and thought cancel ment cancel and not no then.... If someone was in a stuper, wouldn't there be an equally big chance they'd think "no" means "cancel"?  That is, if they didn't read the message, which I believe is the hypothetical situation here...
SuperJJ85

Phread O'Hinton

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 02:00:19 am »
...as far as generally accepted Human User Interface guidelines go, in the Mac world, a dialog box like the PM read-reciept one would be an absolute no-no. It's like ordering at McD's: "you want fries with that?" "Cancel!" It doesn't make any sense.
In a windows world, you're expected to figure out that if you want fries, you say "OK", and if you don't, you pick whichever isn't "OK", in this case, Cancel. Just be glad there isn't an "Apply" button as well.
Sorry, but UI design is a pet peeve of mine, and the "Cancel" grates on my nerves every time I see it. It's so wrong, but it's functional, so it stays. .

SuperJJ85

• View Profile
"IM" confirmation
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 03:00:19 am »
I honestly didn't realize people felt so strongly about this!
I suppose it's just something I've just never considered as "wrong". :shrug:
When a window pops up in any program I'm working on, I instinctively look for function words, like "notification" in this case, and I think of the choices more as "OK, continue!" and "Cancel that plan!". :yes:
OK, well, not exactly - but you get the point. ;)
SuperJJ85