Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Space heater problem  (Read 290 times)

-doh-

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« on: February 26, 2005, 07:47:25 pm »
my rooms is too cold when the lights are off.. ive decided to add a space heater.. but i have a qustion.. my babies are currently in flower stage & i was planning to put a timer on the heater so when the lights go off the heater goes on.. but my problem is.. when the heater is on it emmits red/orange light (old heater) will this effect my plants..?? i understand it has to be completly dark.
thankyou in advanced

it's 1984

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 08:47:25 pm »
Nice catch!  I'd agree with your concern.  I'm sure you can come up with something to get the hot air into the room, while keeping light completely away from the plants.  Some kind of fire retardant something if it's close to the heater, put the heater in another room and have another fan blow the hot air in. :shrug:
Consider a lag time between lights out and heater on.  Try to get some kind of idea when the temperature is getting close to unacceptably low after lights off, and set it's timer to turn it on then.

kerouac

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 09:47:25 pm »
1.) Electric, oil-filled radiator @ Wal-Mart  $40  --2 small lighted switches, easily coverred with electrical tape.... fully adjustable temp control.
I believe Lowes and Home Depot have similar products.
2.) Dehumidifiers create heat as well as keep your flowerring RH low. :)
3.) Insulation?
4.) Other type of space heater.
5.) Space heater facing away from plants with a divider between heater and plants so no light is reflected.
Etc., etc., etc...............
I'd definitely get a new heat source.  No offense, but that thing sounds like an unnecessary fire hazard.

pontoon

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 10:47:25 pm »
I've had my eye on that heater for some time...and they're now $34.95 at Wally World! :yes:
I'm buyin' 2...one for the cabinet area, and one for the house to try and keep the dust down! ;) They just radiate, so there's no fans to stir things up...perfect! :thumbs:

kerouac

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:47:25 pm »
Yeah, they're pretty descent.  My grow/drying room gets pretty cold in the winter with lights out and they work really well for adding the right amount of heat.

Johnson410

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 12:47:25 am »
dOh, how cold is it getting during lights off?  my flower room during lights off goes down to 55.  once in a great while if shes really cold outside itll go down to 50.  cool is good at night during flowering.

pfrtheotherside

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:47:25 am »
We have two oil filled radiators.  One for the flower room and one for the veg room.  They both work great.  The last one we got also has a built in thermostate.  The veg room where we had is not totally enclosed so the heat was able to escape.  And it is in an attic and we live in NY.  We had it dialed into 85 but with the problems of the room it still ran about 75-80 all the time.
Go for it you won't regret it.
TOS

jamesgang

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 02:47:25 am »
dOh, how cold is it getting during lights off?  my flower room during lights off goes down to 55.  once in a great while if shes really cold outside itll go down to 50.  cool is good at night during flowering.
 Not true. If your day temp is 85 and your night temp is 55, your plants will have fewer and less dense buds. Marijuana needs to be tropical at all times. The exception is in the last 2 weeks where you can color your buds by the lower temps...
JG

Johnson410

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 03:47:25 am »
really? i always thought colder at night was good.  maybe i should invest in a space heater :doh:  but for now ill use the heater that in the room.   what is optimal temp for flowering?  during lights on it gets upto 85. now during lights off it goes down to 62-68.  is this better?

kerouac

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 04:47:25 am »
I think cooler temps during lights out are adviseable for a natural daily cycle.  BUT I think what jamesgang is saying is that they should still be in the tropical range.  So, we're talking only a few degrees cooler, not like 30 degrees difference.  Am I correct in that jamesgang?
Marijuana needs to be tropical at all times.  
Think of it this way....  Say you're a Rasta growing your lambsbread up in the mountains.  Whether you go to check on your ladies in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night, you're probably still going to be wearing shorts, aren't you?
In contrast, we're talking about going in shorts into the 85 degree lights in the 'day', then putting on the winter parka to trek out into the frozen tundra to peak at the ladies at 'night'.  Okay, okay, that's a bit extreme, but you get the point.

pontoon

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 05:47:25 am »
during lights on it gets upto 85. now during lights off it goes down to 62-68. is this better?
I've read that a 10 degree swing in temps is optimum for your flower cycle! :yes:
And just FYI...we bought the two above pictured heaters at Wally World the other day! :yes: They were $34.95 each...and (since we're not using one for the grow-room just yet) they heat the house BEAUTIFULLY! They're silent, odorless...and doesn't whip up the dust from the floor like the wall convection heaters do! :D
They're WELL worth the price for your grow endeavors IMHO!
They DO have larger and more expensive HP radiant heaters (around 50 bucks I think) that you can even program to come on when you want...but for our tiny house, it would have been overkill. These are still set on 'low' and give us all the heat we need. ;)

THELONERANGER

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 06:47:25 am »
I use a heating pad.. its cheep and safe.. well depending on how much space your useing.

Whippersnapper

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 07:47:25 am »
ive got my plant over a heating pad. and also a bowl of water w/ a bubble stone to make humidity.

grass_hopper

• View Profile
Space heater problem
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 08:47:25 am »
I have those oil filled radiators in my current house, which is really a cottage.  They are great - I splurged and got the ones with digital thermostats/timers so you can program them to come on and off at set times.  They really work well, and they crank out some heat.  
I'll be selling a few since I won't need them all in my new house (one that has a real heating system!)
:D

Space heater problem
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 09:47:25 am »
Use these on a very limited basis, like for germination under CLOSE supervision.  To use them as a heat source is a serious fire hazard  :nono: To add to the hazard by having water nearby is asking for trouble.
A great heater that uses very little electricity, is compact, and cheap is the old reliable ceramic disk furnace.  Available at Home DePot...
Cap'n