Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: 4 seedlings per sq ft with modified sog?  (Read 51 times)

ascendedmind

• View Profile
4 seedlings per sq ft with modified sog?
« on: April 26, 2005, 11:41:03 am »
I plan on growing & flowering Big Bud & NL-Shiva from seedlings in 6 inch square pots that are 7inches deep.
Would I produce more yield if I used a modified sog, if I planted one unsexed seedling per 6 inch pot at four per square foot, then flowered at 12 inches?
I would not flower the seedlings straight away as I want the undiscovered females to  reach sufficient maturity, so that I can remove the males & use the mother's for cloning.
Is this approach practical as long as I do not pinch, prune or top the plants or seedlings?
My concern is the weight of the bud eventually overpowering the branches of the seedlings.
Should I be concerned? :idea:
I will be using three 1K MH 6500K lights with aircooled reflectors with the heat from the lights continuously exhausted outside.
The seedlings will be turbocharged with 1000 PPM every hour during photoperiod.

penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 12:41:03 pm »
Hi ascendedmind
4 plants per square foot is extremely dense, but it will work if the plants don't have any side growth.  
3000w of HPS will cover a fairly large space, SOG at 4 plants per square foot is going to involve a lot of plants (> 200).
SOG will work much better from clones rather than from seed.
What I would do is veg up to 12-14 inches and alternating nodes, label each plant, take cuttings from each plant and label them, flower out the doners, cull the males and clones from males, and see which plants I like best at harvest, and cull the clones from all of the rejects.  That will leave you with one or more mother plants that you can clone for SOG.   That will also give you the info on growth habit necessary to plan plant density.  
If you have healthy plants in SOG then you shouldn't have to worry too much about the buds being too heavy for the main stem.  Side branch colas usually need to be supported.  Supplement Si in veg, and use oscillating fans to promote stem strength.  
:Peace:
penguin

ascendedmind

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 01:41:03 pm »
What do you mean by alternating nodes? :confused: and
Supplement Si in veg?
Is this the most efficient & productive way to grow & flower seedlings? :confuse:
Hi ascendedmind
4 plants per square foot is extremely dense, but it will work if the plants don't have any side growth.  
3000w of HPS will cover a fairly large space, SOG at 4 plants per square foot is going to involve a lot of plants (> 200).
SOG will work much better from clones rather than from seed.
What I would do is veg up to 12-14 inches and alternating nodes, label each plant, take cuttings from each plant and label them, flower out the doners, cull the males and clones from males, and see which plants I like best at harvest, and cull the clones from all of the rejects.  That will leave you with one or more mother plants that you can clone for SOG.   That will also give you the info on growth habit necessary to plan plant density.  
If you have healthy plants in SOG then you shouldn't have to worry too much about the buds being too heavy for the main stem.  Side branch colas usually need to be supported.  Supplement Si in veg, and use oscillating fans to promote stem strength.  
penguin

2b2s

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 02:41:03 pm »
I have that exact setup. 6" pots at 4 per foot.  Seems to be working for me.  I am using  a homemade reflector and a 430 watt Hortilux.
2b2s

penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 03:41:03 pm »
Hi ascendedmind.  
SOG (cylindrical or stadium SOG, actually) is the most efficient way to grow :MJ: if you can deal with the plant numbers.  It is not the most efficient way to grow from seed,  and seedlings are not the most efficient way to grow :MJ:.
In smaller spaces, LST and ScrOG are practical ways to closely approach the efficiency of SOG, with much lower plant #s.  
Nice looking budsickles 2b2s.  :thumbs: At peak efficiency, SOG would completely fill the space underneath the light with 24 plants.
penguin

ascendedmind

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 04:41:03 pm »
"SOG (cylindrical or stadium SOG, actually) is the most efficient way to grow  if you can deal with the plant numbers. It is not the most efficient way to grow from seed, and seedlings are not the most efficient way to grow ."
Penguin, now you have aroused my curiousity.
I want to know more.
Please send me a link or explain the setup & what I need in order to utilize this technique.
Is there a substantial difference in yield between using four 6 inch square pots per sq ft versus the cylindrical or stadium SOG?
With square pots you can utilize more space per square foot.
Is there something that I am overlooking that I am not aware of? :idea:

penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 05:41:03 pm »
Square containers provide more  volume for roots than round containers.  But with SOG, the idea is to start with rooted clones, use no (or very little) veg, and harvest a lot of small plants.  So the extra root volume doesn't hurt, but shouldn't really be needed.  Typical yield with suitable genetics is 14-28 grams per plant, depending on a lot of factors.  
Cylindrical or stadium-style SOG uses vertically oriented lamps to eliminate the need for a reflector.  Small plants are placed on risers in a conical arrangement, 360 degrees around the lamp. This makes slightly more efficient use of the lamp, and slightly increases the photosynthetic productivity of what would be the undercanopy in a flat SOG.  It's a technique used to eke the very last little bit of performance out of a grow when everything else has been completely optimized - hydroponics, sealed room, CO2 enrichment, excellent environmental control, intense lighting, and (most imporantly) considerable expertise on the part of the grower.  
Based on the kinds of questions that you are asking, I would suggest that you might want to start with 250 watts for veg and 400 watts for flowering and get the basics dialed in before contemplating any larger scale grows.  Beginner growers are usually more concerned about yield > 0, rather than maximizing productivity.  
penguin

ascendedmind

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 06:41:03 pm »
Please email me.