Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: when do you place the screen?  (Read 47 times)

vernonsupreme

• View Profile
when do you place the screen?
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:19:30 pm »
So I'm a little confused about something to do with the scrog.  watching c towns journal (a private screening) has inspired me to do a scrog on this grow, only mine will be in soil, with hopefully 4 plants.  
this is my first scrog venture, and I'm a little lost on when you actually place the screen on the plants, or place the plants in the screen, whichever way you want to look at it.
do you
a. veg the plants and weave them into the screen while vegging till the screen is covered and then flower
b. veg till they hit the screen then flower and weave the plants into the screen
c. do something completely different from the 2 choices i could think of.
I will be having to make some sort of contraption that will allow the seperation of the 1 large screen into 4 smaller screens for watering and flushing, 4 5 gallon buckets tied together full of soil doens't sound like something easy to handle to me.
thanks for anyone's help....i'm new to the whole training thing, but this if my first HID light grow, so I have something new to deal with on this one...heat...never been a problem with the flouros before  :doh:

splifner

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:19:30 pm »
My understanding -- and take that with a huge grain of salt here -- is that you train your branches.  The way you do this is a sort of two-part procedure.  
First, you bend the tops of the plants to encourage secondary growth and give some of the shaded leaves some lumen love.
Second, branches will come in shades of two different flavors; long and short.  Ideally, you'd put the short branches straight up since that's the shortest path to the screen and you'd bring your longer branches around to holes in the screen appropriate to their length.  The longer they are, the further away from directly above they'll be.  I would imagine this will take a lot of practice.
Think of it in reverse.  Mount the screen 1' or so above the plants.  Bend the plant as described in the first step.  The first branches to hit the screen are going to be considered "long" and should go to the outer edge of the screen.  Branches that reach the top a few days later might occupy a ring closer to the bullseye.  Etc, etc.  So it appears to reach a sort of nexus in that every future cola is peeking through a hole at roughly the same time.  Ambitious, huh?
Hopefully that answered your question.
Cheers [Splif]

vernonsupreme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:19:30 pm »
so is it a combination of lst and putting a screen on there, like lst without a screen at first, and you train it to be flat at a certain height and then you put the screen on top and grow the branches upward from that point on...and if so  how tall do you let them veg for before startin the lst.
I'm just trying to wrap my mind around this...and it's my day off and i've been smoking silver pearl for about 3 hours now...  :bong2:

vernonsupreme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:19:30 pm »
so this all stems from me trying to get the maximum yield out of my cabinet which is 22 inches wide, 20 inches deep, 57" tall.  3.04 ft2, about 40,000 lumens so that is about 13,000 lumens per square foot. should have enough light for this one  :yes:  my problem lies with my ventilation system, lights, and growing media containers "buckets".  with all this in place, and my lights set at the highest they could go with everything else in there I have 23 inches of usable space.   so how tall should I veg these plants with a scrog finish, to get the maximum yield out of them.  I was thinking veg till 12", flower and screen, with outward and upward growth I think that would just about fill up the canopy.  
a little experienced input is needed here I'm guessing.  I have at most 4 plants in the chamber.

C-Town

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:19:30 pm »
Hey Vernon. Most ScrOG growers will use freshly rooted clones to maintain uniformity, then depending on their size, place the screen about 8-12" above the plants and/or medium. Under veg lighting, allow the plants to grow into the screen. The training can be tedious for some, because of the time spent placing and re-placing the branches as they grow. As splifner has said, you want to train the larger branches towards the outside of the screen and let the secondary growth fill the center. It's basically the same principle as LST, but your using a screen to hold the growth in place. When to switch to 12/12 is subjective, some say when the screen is half full, to accommodate the stretch, others like to fill as much of the screen as possible, before the flip. Only experience can tell you when the best time to initiate 12/12 will be. Mine was around 1/2-3/4 full, before switching, but I knew it would fill in during the stretch, because my Mystic has alot of secondary growth. I'm gonna look around for more ScrOG grows, for more info. I know Crazy Diamond has a couple excellent ScrOG journals.

vernonsupreme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 12:19:30 am »
well that explains it very well....I guess it will just be a matter of time before actually knowing when i'm going 12/12, time isn't too much of a problem, I would just rather not have a 6 months grow going on here :)

AcapulcoGold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 01:19:30 am »
Sorry, I don't want to hijack your thread, but I have a question for the experienced here.
What is a good off the shelf netting or screen to use? Can something be bought at H Depot or Lowes? I'm going to try this w/ my current grow.
Thanks,
Ag.

St0ney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 02:19:30 am »
What is a good off the shelf netting or screen to use? Can something be bought at H Depot or Lowes? chicken wire ;)

iwishicould

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 03:19:30 am »
And chicken wire is available at home de pot.
IWIC