Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Solid PH/PPM meters  (Read 22 times)

Kurlan

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« on: March 09, 2004, 02:08:17 pm »
Hi
Today I put my four plants (Skunk #1 and Ice) into flower.  Hopefully 400 watt hps, 6 ft^2, and LST + TLC=a lot of THC.  Reading this site religiously for 2 months and thinking ahead, I want to start putting together a bubbler for possible clones and encounters with good genetics.  Hydro just seems so lucrative.
I'm not made of money but I don't mind buying quality equipment.  Which brands of digital ppm/ph meters are the most reliable and accurate?  Which give the most bang for the buck?  And most importantly, which brands and models should I avoid like newbies who ask if incandesent bulbs will grow the ChRoNiC?
-Kurlan

zandor

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:08:17 pm »
http://hannainst.com/products/testers/combo.htm
That should give you the specs.  Make sure you get the chemicals to keep it in calibration and to store it properly.  Like any scientific test equipment if you do not take care of it and store it as the manufacture suggestions you will have problems.  If you follow the manufactures suggestions you will have years of trouble free operation.  I have had mine for 2 years now and the only problem was when I broke the Ph probe trying to clean it (my bad) I have used others but for my money Hanna is the best.
I purchased mine from ebay for $145.00 US the calibration and cleaning solutions cost me another $50.00 but it was well worth the price I would have spent that for any meter I would have purchased anyway.  
Hope it helped
Peace

Dr DragonFly

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 04:08:17 pm »
Plan on spending about $80 - 100 for each. The cheap ones seem to run $20 or so.
If you can't come up with the $200, I'd say don't bother doing hydro. The PH/PPM can make or break you so it's worth the investment. It's truly the most important tool of hydro.
My $.02
Dr. D  :cool:

Kurlan

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:08:17 pm »
zandor, how much did you spend on your tester?
-Kurlan

Devlin

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 06:08:17 pm »
I also recommend the Hannah 98129.  Everything all in one, plus it'll float if you drop it in the res.
;)

TyeWeed

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 07:08:17 pm »
Milwaukee TDS Hand Held SM401
Got mine for $85.
They are all around the $100 mark. I was going to get a hanna from ebay. There is one for $24.99. I needed to get mine quickly so I pulled the buck. But that seemed a little on the cheap side, plus if the one I got went wrong, easier to get a new one.

Kurlan

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 08:08:17 pm »
What are the risk/rewards of using seperate TDS and PH meters instead of a combo unit?
-Kurlan

TyeWeed

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 09:08:17 pm »
Well I'm going back to my shop next month to pick up the Milwaukee pH hand held for about $75. Believe it or not, it is cheaper to get the two other then the all-in-one. Milwaukee ph/EC/TDS hand held $225.

jamesgang

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 10:08:17 pm »
... $200, and I love it. Doesnt need to be calibrated often. I endorse it!!!
JG

TyeWeed

• View Profile
Solid PH/PPM meters
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 11:08:17 pm »
Finally I did something right!