Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Question about fan leaves????  (Read 77 times)

O.G. BOXER

• View Profile
Question about fan leaves????
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:05:23 am »
Hello, I have six clones on their 15th day of vegging in soil under a 600W HPS they are in 3 gal. containors... they are looking great but I am wondering if I should be triming the fan leaves, I've heard that all they do is block light and take nutes and water???? Please advice me also when and how to top my plant???  All advice is appreciated!!!
Boxer

Fillabong

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:05:23 am »
600HPS has great canopy penetration.  Sure they might take nutes and water but those big fan leaves are the powerhouses for your plant.  The make a lot of ATP so I'd keep them on unless you actually notice them retarding other leaves and bud sites.

CybeRopTiK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:05:23 am »
The fan leaves are large because they absorb lots of light! The plant makes its energy from the light and the energy it makes is proportional to the area of the plant that the light hits and the intensity of the light! Cutting the fan leaves will reduce the area part of the formula so that will lessen the energy made by the plant (the energy that it uses to grow and make buds!) You definately don't want to be trimming fan leaves, especially at this stage. Maybe later on during flowering but at that stage the usually turn yellow and fall off on their own. Let the plant do it's thing and don't screw around with it too much!  :D  Hope this helps...

NoneOYurs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:05:23 am »
my big bro removes some leaves at a certain time so that when looking down, he would be able to see soil.  he has had great success with his method.  i didn't do this as my room is bigger so i didn't have to.  
Also, some people remove only leaves that covering the bud sites.

dabuddha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:05:23 am »
don't touch em
They're there for a reason cause that's where they're best for the plant...that's why the plant put it there. These girls are great at doing their job, if a fan leaf is dying and blocking out alot of light tuck or break it that's bout the only time i'd do it.
pruning the plant can increase bud sites as it allows penetration deeper into the canopy, but produces more but smaller buds. If i were a betting man, I'd take the unpruned plant in a side by side comparison at harvest.

Quasi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 05:05:23 am »
yep....never trim healthy fan leaves..I like to refer to them as solar panels...the more panels..the more energy inside....remove the panels and less energy.
I still 'tuck' occassionally but the obssession has dwindled since the daze when I would intend to spend 15 minutes and would end up spending hours trying to 'tuck' the leaves just right..but always seeing another one that needed 'tucking' or one I had not 'tucked' correctly...
but I do trim popcorn buds ..or what would amount to popcorn buds..below the canopy...after it heals this sends more energy to the main buds...but to keep stress down, I only trim up to three at a time...wait for it to heal...then, if need be..trim again....but never the fan leaves...do yourself a favor.:)
oh, and the trimming of suckers also opens up the middle to windage...if you use LST
:2cents:

Phread O'Hinton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 06:05:23 am »
I'm also of the strong opinion that the fan leaves are used late in life as "storehouses" of nutes. When you get towards the end of the flowering cycle, any of the large fan leaves left on the plant (especially the lower ones not getting as much light by this point) turn a pale yellow as the plant pulls all the goodness out of the leaf, using it to build the big buds. It's simply another place for the plant to raid for nutes, and since they're already in a form the plant can use (ie, already metabolized), they are almost used in preference to the nute solution/soil mix.
I've tried both methods many times, and am a firm believer that the plant knows what it's doing (MJ has been growing itself a lot longer than you or I). I've never seen any evidence of an increase in yeild from fan leaf trimming- only decreases.
Phread

n_d_shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 07:05:23 am »
I've tried triming as well, all the long thinking that with a smaller light I needed all the help getting penetration tot he lower buds as possible.  It seemed to help then, but looking now the plants are growing just the same.  yield seems unaffected either way from a low wattage standpoint.

sientbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 08:05:23 am »
https://www.hempcultivation.com/420/showthread.php?t=13795
Sometimes I am a little slow....
moving this over to the Plant Training forum-------->:smokin:

Das Masser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 09:05:23 am »
Let me explain the benefits of PROPER trimming. The plants growing shoots respond to light. If you expose fresh growing shoots to direct light, they will respond with vigor. Trimming away fan leave that are shading nice looking shoots below is good and will produce bigger buds than if shaded by the fan leaves above. The problem with trimming is that peeps get carried away and shock the heck out of the plant by taking too much at one time. Fan leaves are basicly solar panels that power the bud machine. The lowest branches will be shaded out and will produce very little. I chop off the bottom 3 or 4 branches to make clones and to give more energy to the branches above. Sometimes I will take the lower branches and wind them up the center stalk which puts them up into direct light. So experiment trimming with great moderation. Being able to see dirt from above is taking too much in my opinion. Grow one plant normal and trim another and compare the outcome. It realy depends on how your strain reacts.

Das Masser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 10:05:23 am »
Here is my example of proper trimming of fan leaves. The pic shows a before after shot. I only clipped 2 fan leaves and exposed that bud underneath to direct light.

pearl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 11:05:23 am »
:doh:I made the mistake of trimming the fan leaves and I had to mist my plants for two to three weeks until more came back.
  Listen to the people that said they are the solar panels. I think it was Quasi and Fillabong.
  These people know what they are talking about.
 Fan leaves are also called water leaves, once in a while you see water coming out of them. They help the plant by bringing it water and nutes.
 If you do trim be very careful and that leave better be blocking a bud from getting sun (or light). If you can tuck it under I would do that.
  My arms are still killing me from misting PH'd water 3 times a day for a few weeks.....never again.
 By the way my ww's are just fine now, ready to flush in about a week. The buds look beautiful, the Thc, kiff, whatever you want to call it came back bigtime.  :)

Joshl26

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 12:05:23 pm »
I have always been taught that the single worst thing that you can do to a plant is to cut off its large fanleaves. You see the fan leaves create most of the plants energy. The fan leaves are also the major contributors to your buds. I usually cut off any of the lower buds that will never fully ripen anyways. This way the energy is focused to the top where the buds tend to be large and bountiful. So dont cut off your fan leaves :)

Das Masser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 01:05:23 pm »
I've seen the rewards when it comes down to the amount in your bowl at harvest time. It's surely not the worst thing you could do! lol. Taking too much for no reason besides the fact that you can "see" more buds on the plant is what is bad. Plants loose leaves in nature from animals and wind. The area I showed where I clipped will produce more finished product per square inch than if not. A plant shades out the lower branches which in turn produce very little. Here is the best advice that you can learn from this besides opinions that argue both sides; Experiment on only one plant! Never try something on the whole crop. If you only have one plant, I wouldn't experiment at all. Growing Janie is a constant learning experience. Trimming is something that has to be done to see the plants reaction. The fan leaves don't just supply energy but use it as well. These leaves will start dying as the plant matures shutting them down to direct all energy into bud production. More buds is the key. Taking away a couple leaves from a bud in direct light to expose a lower budsite to direct light will not stunt the bud any and will only make the lower bud bigger. How is that bad? Leaving the leaves and constantly shading the bud below will just produce a smaller lower bud and less finished product. Your saving time clipping leaves at harvest time as well (that's a joke). Clipping off too much shocks the plant into a week of no growth and will produce less. Like I said before people get carried away and take too many too fast and the results are bad.

Quasi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 02:05:23 pm »
why not just tuck them out of the way instead of trimming?...I have participated in the last thread about trimming fan leaves...from here on out, I will treat it as a perverse practice, realize that some peeps may have a fanleaf fetish, and leave it at that. :D