Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Question about fan leaves????  (Read 56 times)

Joshl26

• View Profile
Question about fan leaves????
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 03:05:23 pm »
Quasi - lol, leaf fetish never heard of that one yet!
Das Masser - I guess its all about finding that middle ground, the equilibrium. Like you stated I guess the discussion can go both ways, some strains even react differently to being pruned. Experimenting with the strains we have to find the optimum level of trimming, is the only way to get the best harvest.
I think you could agree with that eh? :)

sadman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 04:05:23 pm »
Let me explain the benefits of PROPER trimming. The plants growing shoots respond to light. If you expose fresh growing shoots to direct light, they will respond with vigor. Trimming away fan leave that are shading nice looking shoots below is good and will produce bigger buds than if shaded by the fan leaves above. The problem with trimming is that peeps get carried away and shock the heck out of the plant by taking too much at one time. Fan leaves are basicly solar panels that power the bud machine. The lowest branches will be shaded out and will produce very little. I chop off the bottom 3 or 4 branches to make clones and to give more energy to the branches above. Sometimes I will take the lower branches and wind them up the center stalk which puts them up into direct light. So experiment trimming with great moderation. Being able to see dirt from above is taking too much in my opinion. Grow one plant normal and trim another and compare the outcome. It realy depends on how your strain reacts.
What this guy says has alot of truth...
There is no definetive answer those earlier who preach DO NOT TRIM ever have never seen an out door that has been constanly visited by animals nibbling. I was shown the light by a Bambi. There was a plant in an out door situation I was once involved in.. it had one plant that was constantly visted by Bambi always the same one ... come harvest time that plant yeilded the largest, tastiest yeild. I took notice .. Now I do not trim like Bambi... but those who say it's un natural are not including the entire biosphere. Get to know your plants they will tell you through your growing exprience ... trial and error.... hey you get to keep the mistakes so it ain't all bad to ooops... yes the plants need thier fans for Photosynthesis they are VERY important . Those who say oooooh I leave them there cause it's natural ... I challenge to say what is natural in an indoor winter grow under lights (Esp a hydro grow . when have you ever seen MJ growing in the middle of a stream un anchored?) Get to know your grow and your strains they will tell you, or you will figure it out. Trim if you think it's appropriate or leave the "au natural" or something in between. I ask that you please keep an OPEN mind and not become zealous or diffinative... BTW I selectivly trim fans, I find no loss in yeild, quality, or size. But that is my situation for my grow.. OUT doors I do not touch it... leave it to Bambi & Thumper... or not.

penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 05:05:23 pm »
Do a side-by-side controlled test using three clones.  
Leave the first one untouched, no trimming of any kind.
Remove the upper fans on the second, according to the "removing fan leaves lets light hit the buds where it really counts" school of thought.
On the third, leave the upper fans alone but trim away the bottom 10 to 20% of "sucker" growth.  
Compare dried weight.
You can't change the laws of physics...
And that goes for tucking, too.