Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: newby question  (Read 27 times)

A6D9

• View Profile
newby question
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:05:18 pm »
doing alot of readding about hdro grows..and don't quite understadn how it works....
please correct me if I"m wrong  but this is how I see hydro in my head
plant is basicaly growing in like "rocks"  and the roots are submerged in water...then once in a while you pump nutriments in the water....
or is is the roots are just dangling there...and then once in a while you cycle the water and nutriments....
if it is the second way.....how often do you "cycle"
i tried looking and read the "bible"  but still  fell very confused...please forgive my stupidity...
Thank you in advace to all that answer and hopefully I will understand this a bit more...

the-Shiek

• View Profile
newby question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:05:18 pm »
The basic principle in hydroponic growing, is that your taking the plant out of the soil and suspending it somehow or putting it into a growing medium, and running an oxygenated nutrient rich water solution over the roots.
The reason this is advantageous is that the plant's roots don't have grow out and search for nutrients like they would in soil, because nutrients are always available for roots to absorb. THis frees up extra energy the plant would normally devote to root growth, and ensures the optimum delivery of nutrients at all times, allowing the above ground protion of the plant to grow at a advanced rate, ultimately producing larger yields in the same amount of time.
As far as how you deliver the nutrient rich solution to the roots, and what growing medium to use is completely up to you.

A6D9

• View Profile
newby question
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:05:18 pm »
ok thank you....but  1 more question...are the roots allways in touch with this "solution"  or just when you cycle?
in other words can you pump water accross the roots 24/7.....or better to do it for say 30 minutes every 3 hours?  
know what i mean??
thank you again for all the help....what a great site....

arnold layne

• View Profile
newby question
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:05:18 pm »
there are many different methods.......
roots hang in the air waiting to be sprayed, sitting in a trough of constantly flowing liquid, sitting in a tub that gets flooded at intervals.....
look here (http://www.aquamist.com/hydroponics/), or here (http://www.simplyhydro.com/system.htm).
those pages will give ya some ideas.
if ya want to see how some of those methods are applied in the wacky, wonderful world of weed, check out some of the hydro grow journals.
peace-
arnold layne

Mustang

• View Profile
newby question
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:05:18 pm »
Click the homemade hydroponics link in my signature it will help u ? and save u money if u decide t o come join us water lovers