Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Idea? would this work. newby!  (Read 24 times)

A6D9

• View Profile
Idea? would this work. newby!
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:09:29 pm »
ok this may seam stupid...but I'm trying to understand the concept of all this hydro stuff.
I want to try a hydro set up that involves an easy medium to clean up.    And I came accross this idea I had in my head....tell me if this is all wrong or if it would work.
Marbles.....  if I was to get a seed to start using the clasic wet papertowel and get a sprout about an inch tall.  then take it and put it in some marbles.  and use a drip set up so the roots won't dry out.   just use the drip sys long enought till the roots will reache the flow underneight.   I'm leaning towards a NFT set up...but don't quite understand how to get the root to get the water and nutes when they don't reach the "flow" of goodies below.
does anybody know what i mean?
your answers are greattly appreciated.

Hipwr_Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 08:09:29 pm »
Use expanded clay pellets -- they hold moisture better than marbles would.
And yes there are set ups like you describe however I have never done one.
Go to the hydro section and read the first two pages or so of several threads.
Each one should detail -- with pictures -- the setup that they used.
Then go to the end of the thread and see what the plants look like.
With enough research and reading you should be able to find a setup you like.
I have used ebb and flow -- Deep water culture and areoponics all with different results.
Bill

Bumble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:09:29 pm »
I use the drip system somewhat like you describe. Actually I call it trickle irrigation, but the concept is the same. Marbles would work to some extent because the purpose of the medium is to just support the roots. However, using marbles or non-porous gravel dries up a little too fast so that you leave yourself open to root death from drying out. I use the expanded clay pellets because they keep wet longer, offer excellent adhesion surface for the roots, and are re-useable.
My small (6") pots are suspended about an inch above the bottom of a trough and in the trough is about a 1/4" of water/nutrient. The pots are watered every 30 minutes, the water flows thru the pot into the trough and back to the tank. The roots grow down into the trough. One of the first questions I asked a hydro store owner is "How do the roots know where to go to find the water" His answer "Don't worry, they'll find it". and he was correct. It's amazing the root mass that develops.