Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Meters...  (Read 34 times)

DigitalRumor

• View Profile
Meters...
« on: March 09, 2004, 02:09:53 pm »
Hey again,
I'm debating on buying some meters (a PH meter for sure).
Here are my questions...
1) I have seen pen models and other wall hanging units. I'm intrigued about the the wall hanging units. Does this mean I can leave the probe in the resevoir? I'm not a big fan of the pens but I might have to get one due to price.
2) I've heard good and bad about combo units... Any first hand experiences?
3) Does anyone know where to get cheap meters in Canada? Grow stores are quite expensive!

FewBricksShort

• View Profile
Meters...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 03:09:53 pm »
Originally posted by DigitalRumor
Hey again,
I'm debating on buying some meters (a PH meter for sure).
Here are my questions...
1) I have seen pen models and other wall hanging units. I'm intrigued about the the wall hanging units. Does this mean I can leave the probe in the resevoir? I'm not a big fan of the pens but I might have to get one due to price.
I was undecided on the 'constant monitor' wall mount units myself, but ended up with 2 pens  see Q# 2 for details. To answer you question, Yes the probe stays in all the time. I'm still considering getting one, but would still use my pens to check it's accuaracy. I can say, at times, it would be awful nice to open the door of the growroom, look at an LCD unit for 2 seconds and know what's going on in the res.  
 2) I've heard good and bad about combo units... Any first hand experiences?  
The only thing I can say about this is, If you lose one, you lose them both. That is ultimatly why I didn't get the 'constant monitor' system. I got a 'Hanna' combo pen, the black one, and I dunked it in the water because it "said" it was waterproof. It died six hours after I got it. This is just my experience and there is probably someone on here that has had great luck with the same pen! I now have two 'Oakton' waterproof pens that are indeed waterproof. I've tested it, and I love them. They stay amazingly accurate. I've adjusted them twice since I've had them.
 3) Does anyone know where to get cheap meters in Canada? Grow stores are quite expensive!  
Can't help you here.
Hope my opinion helps you at least a little. Just remeber, it's only my opinion.
Lates
http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinbandit.gif

DigitalRumor

• View Profile
Meters...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 04:09:53 pm »
Thank you very much for your opinions... I think I will save for the constant monitoring ones... I think I will buy seperate meters too! That way, not only could I afford the ever so important PH meter right now, but if one breaks down then I don't loose them all!
Thanks again. Oh and which are good brands and which ones should I stay away from?

dankzel

• View Profile
Meters...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:09:53 pm »
I have a Hanna Ph checker and a Hanna TDS meter, seperate from eachother. Got em for 30 bucks each on eBay. They work.
Milwaukee is probably the most quality you can get.

airedog

• View Profile
Meters...
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 06:09:53 pm »
I have a NutraDip TriMeter that has been working well, so far, in a system that has a common reservoir. It's great to just glance and get a reading, especially when I had pH problems. As others have stated the drawback is if one function goes down they all do. There is also the portability issue. My nursery is not adjacent to my grow area, to minimise cross contamination.  On  reccomendations from 2 hydro stores Oakton pens are definitely on my wish list for the nursery.
Airedog

jamesgang

• View Profile
Meters...
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 07:09:53 pm »
,,, The lime green one, and I love it...
JG