Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: what kind of vinegar?  (Read 72 times)

WietRoKer

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« on: May 28, 2007, 09:14:00 am »
should i use to bring the pH down in my water?

Kevdude55

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:19:00 am »
i belive any will do. But make sure tht u dont add to much u will F*** up your plants roots. Its safer to buy Fert with Sulfer in it. It will slowly(few weeks) Bring ur PH safley down so ur plant has a chance to adjust. It may die if the PH spikes.

OldBasilisk

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
white vinegar = acetic acid
lemon juice = citric acid
Both work well

Kevdude55

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:23:00 am »
use in moderation.

afterburner

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
white vinegar = acetic acid
lemon juice = citric acid
Both work well
I would say they both work but not as well as phosphoric acid. Particularly not for hydroponics. Vinegar or lemon juice will work in a pinch but I highly recommend buying pH down designed for hydro. Soil, I dunno about that...
But yeah, distilled white vinegar is what you want. :D
:Peace:

knna

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
Agreed with AB. Lemon juice and vinegar works fine in organic, but not so much in hydro.
In hydro, phosphoric, nitric and sulfuric acid work better (and you need to use less quantity).
Its safer to buy Fert with Sulfer in it. It will slowly(few weeks) Bring ur PH safley down so ur plant has a chance to adjust. It may die if the PH spikes.
First time i heard it. S in nutes are uptaked as SO4- anion, so i doubt it would have that ph drop effect. But im always open to learn new things. Can you explain it?
BTW, plants dont die from ph spikes. They just have some feeding problems, more or less severe. Recomended ph ranges are for optimal nute uptake, but ive seem many reports of plants growing in hydro at ph below 5 and over 7,5 without mayor problems.
:Peace: knna

Kevdude55

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »
i learned it in chemistry in high school(i payed attention whenever i heard eather bomb or Acid). the sulfer is a Very stong acid pure(with oxygen) The H2 comes from the water. when its diluted it can take down ur PH. but if you dont get it right You can severley...is this thing on? SEVERLEY damage your plant

knna

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »
Oh yeah, Sulfuric acid drop your ph in few seconds. Its what i use. Not as stable as phosphoric, but stronger, cheap and easy to find in high concentrations.
But Phosphoric acid drop your ph, too, as well as Nitric acid. But that not mean that other compounds with S, P or N drop ph. Many times its the opposite (specially for P compound, many of them alkaline).
I give Ph management a strong attention, its the best way in my opinion of getting the best of my garden in the dayly work. Unfortunatelly, there is a lot of myths about it. No time now to start with them, but the fact is plants can manage far wider ph ranges than most people, specially in the MJ forums, thinks.
:Peace:knna

Kevdude55

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
yea...but its not H2SO4 its just H2SO2 or H2SO3 its calles sumpthin diffrent...still an acid just not deadly

Lady Gardener

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »
You don't wanna know what we do at the Pharm with cow shit and diesel!

Kapt Krink

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 07:15:00 am »
Oh yeah, Sulfuric acid drop your ph in few seconds. Its what i use. Not as stable as phosphoric, but stronger, cheap and easy to find in high concentrations.
But Phosphoric acid drop your ph, too, as well as Nitric acid. But that not mean that other compounds with S, P or N drop ph. Many times its the opposite (specially for P compound, many of them alkaline).
I give Ph management a strong attention, its the best way in my opinion of getting the best of my garden in the dayly work. Unfortunatelly, there is a lot of myths about it. No time now to start with them, but the fact is plants can manage far wider ph ranges than most people, specially in the MJ forums, thinks.
:Peace:knna
May I ask what kind of sulphuric acid you use...and or where you can obtain it?  The gh ph down is getting expensive, and my hard water requires quite abit to lower it.
Cheers,
KK

knna

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 12:16:00 pm »
I live in Spain, so i cant give you specific sites. I buy it near pure in a industrial chemical products shop. Ive seen it sometimes in online shops, too.
But a easy way to obtain it is in any car's equipment shop, because sulfuric acid is what car's batteries use. Still exist batteries with manteinance, and needs sulfuric acid and distilled water for it.

Kapt Krink

• View Profile
what kind of vinegar?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »
Thanks KNNA...I wasn't sure if car battery acid was the same thing or not.  I have heard some people say it's not the same, and to not use it.
Cheers,
KK