Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Reuse Substrate?  (Read 647 times)

SerratedFrond

• View Profile
Reuse Substrate?
« on: August 13, 2004, 10:53:18 pm »
I am using a soiless mix.  When all is said and done, can I reuse this dirt for my next plants?  Thanks *tips hat*

420woman

• View Profile
Reuse Substrate?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 11:53:18 pm »
You can, but it will be tougher (the minerals start to bond), will have fewer nutrients, and just all around be less useful to you. The best thing to do with old soil is put it into a good compost pile with lots of organics to replenish it. If you really need to reuse soil for money reasons or whatever, I'd at least use it half and half with fresh, and make sure you watch your soil tests to see what's missing.

cecil_b

• View Profile
Reuse Substrate?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 12:53:18 am »
Wait - you said "soil-less", right?  This is just a medium used to stabilize the plants and hold nute solution while they grow in some kind of hydro or pseudohydro setup - the medium usually has no nutrient value in and of itself.
 You should always start hydro with a sterilized/pasteurized medium.  Natural fibers, like cocoa peat, sphagnum moss, coir brick, etc. should probably not be used again because they can't be easily sterilized.  
 If you want a reusable medium, get yourself some clay pellets, large chunk perlite, or some other mineral grow medium.  Mineral grow rocks or something can be washed/screened really well, then spread out on a cookie sheet and pasteurized in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes to kill any nasties.
 ~cb

SerratedFrond

• View Profile
Reuse Substrate?
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 01:53:18 am »
Its basically Pete, Perlite, and Vermiculite, plus some Lime.  That was my thought exactly, that there are no traditional soil properties, so I should be able to steralize the medium and use it again.  Thanks *tips hat*

cecil_b

• View Profile
Reuse Substrate?
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 02:53:18 am »
Your peat might get a little toasty in the oven, but go ahead and sterlize it.  Can't hurt.
 ~cb

SerratedFrond

• View Profile
Reuse Substrate?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 03:53:18 am »
Yeah I might pressure cook it.  Thanks! = )