Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Optimum temp for drying  (Read 90 times)

Fillabong

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:29:05 am »
Hiya:hello:
  What have people found to be the best temp to dry plants in?
 Bad Rudie is done/almost done and the place I plan to dry her in is rather cool. ~40-50F. This location is fairly dry too if that helps:D
  Any ideas?
 Most of the buds on the lower branches are cloudy/clear.  On the main cole there are a few amber too.  Most of the amber is in the leaves closest to the centre and top.  I flushed only 2 days ago so she might graduate to hash instead of just weed:D
 Should I give her another day or 2?

jamesgang

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 01:29:05 am »
... Between 68 and 70 degrees with a very low humidity, less than 20%. I would cut them as soon as time permits in the next several days. Good luck...
JG
Oh, and always keep the air moving...

Fillabong

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:29:05 am »
That dry eh?  Ok, I'll see what I can do.  
I can cut them anytime.  That's not a problem.  What worries me the temp.  Might that be too cold?
Dry them at the same temp they were grown in perhaps?  Maybe a little cooler?

jamesgang

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 03:29:05 am »
... With low humidity and moving air. I have also had 35% humidity with moving air. The key is air movement, mold cant form then... With cooler temps it takes longer to dry out and put into containers...
JG

Fillabong

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 04:29:05 am »
I'm over in chat with thaistick and he told me that having a fan is essential.
I've found a better spot.  It'll be tough to keep dark but its really dry and about 70-80 AND I can fun in some fans:D

jolan

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 05:29:05 am »
I'd like to know where did jamesgang get a 20 humidity. Are you living in a desert? Over where I live the humidity goes barely under 60% throughout the year. But that's not my point. I'm writing to ask whether it is beter to dry it in my old abandoned grandparent's house with open-through roof or in a room with a fan? I mean the airflow under the roof must be much better, but on the other hand the humidity could be high. What do you people think.

dabuddha

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 06:29:05 am »
to get the humidity low you can use either a dehumidifier or dessicants, dessicants such as dry-rite can be purchased at DIY stores like home depot etc...  I would dry indoors and with plenty of airflow, the conditions under the roof are probably not very stable and I'd hate to see you lose a grow because of a poor drying condition.

Phread O'Hinton

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 07:29:05 am »
jolan, you're going to have to be extra careful when it comes time to dry to prevent mold. Where I live, RH's in the 20% is not unusual, and I'm in the middle of a prairie. But with it rarely dipping below 60, you've got prime mold conditions (as you probably already know from living there- I'll bet that people are fighting mold & mildew all the time where you live).
Take dabudda's advice- it's just what you should do.

Johnson410

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 08:29:05 am »
does it have to be dark where the buds are drying, or can you dry them in say your grow room which would have 12/12 light?

pfloydrocks420

• View Profile
Optimum temp for drying
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 09:29:05 am »
THC degrades with exposure to light.
So a dark.. dry.. ventilated place is best.