Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Curing in plastic or glass  (Read 132 times)

bobthegrower

• View Profile
Curing in plastic or glass
« on: May 31, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »
I'm somewhat new to :MJ:  growing and I have a question about drying and curing buds.  I'm still a long way off from this stage i.e. august, sept....my question is:  I saw a watertight plastic container at Wal-Mart the other day and I was wondering what the results would be of curing in it.  I know a lot of people use mason jars but this container was somewhat longer and retangluar and the whole side opened it up possibly making it easier to turn/dry buds.  It had a rubber gasket all around the lid so I'm pretter sure air leakage probably wouldn't be much of a problem.  Does the glass actually matter to curing or is it just the quaility of the jars make a difference?  What's your :2cents:

vernonsupreme

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 12:42:00 pm »
i cured my last harvest in plastic, where as I normally cure in glass.
my bud had absolutely no flavor, and hardly any smell and basically ruined about 4 oz of bud.  I ended up giving most of it away

OldBasilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »
I use glass.  Another thing to consider, IIRC, trichs stick to the sides of plastic and not glass.

thebluyak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »
plastic is mor porus than glass, u think that had something to do with it vs?

vernonsupreme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »
plastic is mor porus than glass, u think that had something to do with it vs?
i remember an experiment that we did in high school with ziploc bags and ammonia or something that showed how many holes there was in common plastics. I think that had a lot to do with it.
glass is the way to go
:2cents:

Prophit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 09:58:00 pm »
I wouldnt wholesale discount plastics as a curing vessel...Ive used tuperware for short term storage, and those cheap 1 time use tuperwares inside a vacuum sealed pouch for long term storage with no problems whatsoever. In both cases its been cured bud but I doubt that would make much of a difference.

bobthegrower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »
Thanks for your input everybody, do you think the type of plastic would matter ie tupperware vs heavy duty plastic?  I don't know if I would risk it anyway at this point, from what I hear glass is the way to go...but hypothetically speaking...

penguin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 09:18:00 am »
As long as it's air tight, it doesn't matter.
Plastic will absorb some of the smell, glass will not.  Trichs stick to both.  
I use canning jars for long-term storage, but rectangular plastic trays are much more convenient for curing.  
:Peace:
penguin

shrubz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
I preffer glass. Glass seems to pick up the coolness in the air and hold onto it better.

g13laze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 05:19:00 am »
There's a new line of sport balls (basketballs, soccerballs,etc) that retain their air longer than regular balls, the way it's molecules are on the inside prevent the larger air molecules from passing through
:bong2:    
So glass is better :D

tokinGLX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 11:08:00 am »
not so sure about tupperware type plastic, but plastic baggies are known no-nos in my book due to the static cling they are infamous for.  and thats not a factor i should have to be concerning myself with when curing.
if you have a local 'hobby lobby' i would check them out for oversized glass jars.  with the hinged sealing pop top lids, three bucks apiece.