Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: help  (Read 110 times)

Italian Weedman

• View Profile
help
« on: February 22, 2005, 11:35:39 pm »
i am  new to marijuana growing. when you harvast the marijuana, do you just cut the stem from the bottom and dry it? are the leaves smokeable?

bonddong

• View Profile
help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:35:39 am »
Yeah you can cut the stem at the bottom or you can pull it up roots and all and let it dry. For as the leafs go I don't think the big ones smoke to good the little one you trim of the buds do. you can make butter with the big ones if you want.

xyz

• View Profile
help
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 01:35:39 am »
There are a varity of harvesting/trimming/curing methods depending on your situation.
Using the search feature will let you sort out more information than you may want at this time.
Do-do-do read the grow guide. It is a great primer.
Good growing, this is a great site.

bluntman696969

• View Profile
help
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 02:35:39 am »
Like they said you can pull the plant out at its roots which is what i do or you can cut the stems .You definitely dont want to smoke the leaves

grass_hopper

• View Profile
help
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 03:35:39 am »
when you harvast the marijuana, do you just cut the stem from the bottom and dry it?
Welcome, weedman.  I hope you find what you're looking for on this site!  XYZ is right - the G.G. has a great section on Harvesting and Drying (Curing).   (http://www.marijuana.com/Bible.php?loc=14&id=1)Check it out.
Personally, I trim off all the prize buds at the closest node to the stem, leaving me a few inches of stem.  I then string them all up in small bunches and hang them in a closet to dry with a fan blowing on them at a very low velocity.  My last harvest was in the summer when the humidity was really high, so i used calcium chloride to accelerate the drying process.
are the leaves smokeable?
Depending on the strain you grow, the leaves up near the buds will be very sugary with trichomes (dried resin emitted from glands).  Some strains are frostier than others.  
Sure, you can smoke these leaves and it will do the job, but the smoke will be pretty harsh.  Many people save this trim for extraction using one of the variety of methods of Kiff, Hash, Oil, etc.  I've done ice extraction and butane honey oil - personally, I prefer the BHO - it's cleaner, smoother, no chlorophyll and the golden amber color is beautiful :D
Fan leaves from the lower end of the plant have no trichomes and aren't useful for much.  They can be made into Cannabutter, which will extract the resin (and chlorophyll) from inside the leaves and leaf-stems.  Personally, I use them for mulch :)
Good luck.