Hemp Cultivation

Notice: Registration is disabled. Please continue discussing on Overgrow.com!

Author Topic: Building an organic soil medium (Soil Building 102)  (Read 214 times)

cough-cough-eere

• View Profile
Building an organic soil medium (Soil Building 102)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2002, 04:03:00 am »
question?
I know the potting soil, perlite worn castings and compost are all mixed together in the soil, but do I mix the blood,bone meal kelp, and phosphate in the water or do I mix it into the soil also.If I mix it into the soil, what size pot is this ratio for?If its in the  water , is the ratio per gallon? I'm growing in 3 gal pots.I'm new to organic gardening, but very interested in learning. My seeds are just now starting to come up,when should i start the organic ferts.? How often do I use the ferts? every thime I water or just once?? Any info would be appriciated. Thanks

3hounds

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2002, 04:36:00 am »
Mix everything together in your dry potting mix... not everything there is water soluble.
This isn't an exact science- but the amounts listed sound about right for a 3 gallon pot.
With a great potting mix like this, you shouldn't have to worry about additional fertilizer for quite some time. You can make blood meal tea for a quick nitrogen boost, or use fish emulsion if your plants start to look needy, i.e. yellowing on lower leaves.
You've just about provided everything your plant will ever need in this mix.

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2002, 07:56:00 am »
Oops...I forgot to mention that for the stuff not listed in percentages (i.e. the ferts), the listed amount is (roughly) per gallon of soil mix. I'll edit the post above to reflect that...
Also, as 3H mentions, this is not an exact science...when in doubt use a little less, not a little more.  
So if you have 5 3-gallon pots, you would be making 15 gallons of soil mix, so you would add (roughly) 15 T each of blood and bone meal, 25-30 T of kelp meal, and 30-60 T of rock phosphate.
Also, for ease of measuring:
16 T = 1 cup
12 T = 3/4 cup
8 T = 1/2 cup
4 T = 1/4 cup
Sorry for the earlier confusion. :)
O

cough-cough-eere

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2002, 04:16:00 am »
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna try it on half my plants and use reg. ferts on the other half, but don't want to risk all my plants(just incase i mess up)I hopeing for better tasting bud.When I get ready for flowering,Will I need to adjust the soil? When I used reg ferts., I used a 20 20 20 for veg and a 10 52 10 for flowering.Is organics the same way?
The mesurments conversdion chart was a big help also, Thanks I'm really looking forward to this grow.

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2002, 07:35:00 am »
You shouldn't have to add to the soil for flowering with this mix, as the bone meal takes some time to become fully available to the plant, and it will be releasing the majority of its nutrients during flowering.  (same with the rock phosphate, but it will only release a little of its P during the grow as it takes years to fully break down...it has other minerals and side benefits though.)  
However, many people like to supplement the P and sometimes the K further during flowering, usually with guano tea (P) and kelp/seaweed extracts (K).  It's not necessary but can up your yield if done correctly.
That's great that you're going to do a side-by-side grow, that way you will have an objective comparison between the two methods.  Make sure to post back to this thread when you finish so you can report on the difference in finished product!
Glad to help and good luck! :)
O

Lizzie Borden

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2002, 07:18:00 pm »
I mix up 5-10 gallons at a time in a clean plastic garbage can with a tight fitting lid.  I put everything in there and roll it around and shake it until it's thoroughly mixed.

organic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
Another option for mixing is those big plastic storage bins you can get for $10-20 at any of the -Mart stores.  I use a 40 or 50 gallon one.  You can layer the various ingredients, and then mix it up with a small shovel or a hoe, and if you're strong enough you can put on the lid and shake it.  Basically the same concept as Brindie's garbage can method, except it's a shallower container with a bigger opening and somewhat easier to work with.